Prevent Direct Access plugin provides a simple solution to prevent Google and other search engines from indexing and unwanted users from accessing your files without permission.
Protect WordPress Media Library File Uploads
Prevent Direct Access (PDA) is designed to protect your media files such as images (PNG, JPEG), documents (PDF, DOCX, PPTX), audios, and videos (MP4, MP3) that you upload to your website, via either Media library or Pages/ Posts.
Once protected, only the files’ author can access them directly. Unauthorized users will be redirected to a No Access page when attempting to view and download these files.
Currently, the Lite version allows you to protect up to 9 uploaded files only. Check out our Gold version which offers unlimited protected files and many other advanced features.
- Under your WordPress admin dashboard, click Add New under Plugins
- Search Prevent Direct Access in the repository
- Click Install Now
Here’s how to activate and use our Prevent Direct Access (PDA) Free version.
- Once you’ve installed our plugin, click Activate
- Go to Media to protect your files
- Choose List View option under Media Library
- A new column named Prevent Direct Access will be created by our plugin. To protect a specific media file, simply click on Configure file protection and click on Protect this file
- Once a file is protected, the plugin will automatically generate a private URL containing random strings for users to access the private file directly.
You can copy the private URL to clipboard and paste it on their browsers or email by clicking on the Copy to clipboard button.
- If you want to unprotect the file, simply click on Unprotect this file
- As the Lite version offers protection for maximum 9 files only, an error message will display when you try to protect more than 9 files.
You can refer to our FAQ for more information.