“Video informs and entertains people and, good or bad, today most people prefer to watch a video rather than read a page of text.” Lisa Lubin
We all understand the importance of videos in marketing strategies. They help deliver a lot of information to users, keep them to stay on your site longer, and engage them to take action. As visual thirsty creation, visitors find it easier to digest information via videos.
Still, not all business owners and marketers know to make use of videos and bring the most value to their sites. Embedding videos in the content in the wrong way will result in poor website performance and a bad user experience.
Today, we’ll take a look at methods to use WordPress videos efficiently, from resizing a video to creating a video post. You can discover how to protect premium videos as well.
Before digging into details, let’s begin with wild and interesting video statistics that can blow your mind.
Before you read further.... Free Download (PDF)
Secret Side Door
Secret Google Search Tactic That Will Skyrocket Your Sales, Connect You to the Perfect Partners, Influencers & Affiliates and Send Your Google Rankings Soaring! FREE when you sign up for Digital Creators Edge, a free newsletter for Digital Creators who wish to take their business to the next level.
Impressive Video Statistics that You Can’t Ignore
Here are some statistics to prove the vital role of videos in every website.
- According to Statista in 2018, 85% of the USA internet users watch videos monthly on various devices.
- It’s revealed in a HubSpot study that over 50% of customers wish to see more videos from companies that they support.
- Videos contribute to 79% of digital product, software, and app sales, reported by Wyzowl.
- The percentage of businesses using videos as a marketing tool increases by 25% over 6 years, from 61% in 2016 to 86% in 2021.
- Zenith Media estimated that 100 minutes per day is the time a user will spend watching videos on average.
- Videos give many values to your sites, including ROI and growth in traffic and leads. 89% of video marketers agree they benefit from video in terms of ROI while 87% of them see a rock in traffic to their site.
How to Create a Video Post
Do you know that besides the standard format, your posts can apply to other formats as well? There are multiple post format types, namely Aside, audio, chat, gallery, image, link, quotes, and tons more.
A post format defines information in your content and is used by your theme. Along with the post formats mentioned above, you have a separate one for videos. Using video post format allows you to display one video or attach a video playlist in the content.
To change the post format from Standard to Video, you can follow the guide below:
- Head to Posts in your WordPress admin dashboard
- Add a new post or open an existing one
- Find the Format section in your post edit screen
- Choose the “Video” option in the list
- Scroll down to the Video section at the bottom of your post
- Select your video type. If it’s an external video hosted on YouTube or other platforms, enter the video URL in the External Video URL box.
How to Adjust the Size of an Embedded WordPress Video
WordPress makes it easy for you to embed a video into your content. You can do that in 3 ways, placing the video URL directly on the post, using an iframe, and creating a video post.
Still, the platform doesn’t provide any built-in feature for you to adjust the video appearance, such as the width and height of your video. If you embed a YouTube video, there are sometimes problems of too large or too small video appearance. Changing video sizes helps make it fit your post better.
Here are steps to change the size of a YouTube video:
- Go to YouTube and open your video
- Click the Share button under the video and choose Embed
- Copy the video iframe code and paste it into your WordPress content
- Modify the video size by changing the width and height in the code
Now, simply preview the page to see how your video looks, and you’re done.
WordPress File Size Limit
WordPress prevents its users from uploading too large files. It permits files smaller than 25MB in most cases. This number can change depending on your hosting provider, ranging from 2MB to 150MB.
There would be no worry about heavy videos if they are hosted on third-party platforms like YouTube, Vimeo, or Wistia.
Still, in case you plan to provide a video hosting website, for instance, a file review or a portfolio site, it’s highly recommended to extend the video file size limit.
Don’t know how to check the maximum file size? It’s simple. All you need to do include logging into your WordPress admin then going to Media > Add New. Now, take a look at the line saying “Maximum upload file size: … MB”. It will tell you the max upload size of your site.
From the example below, it’s unable to upload videos larger than 256MB.
How to Increase WordPress Video Size Limit
We suggest you contact your hosting provider to allow larger video sizes. Asides from that, you can try other methods of updating the “.htaccess file”, modifying the “php.ini” file, or changing PHP options using cPanel.
In this tutorial section, we’ll show you the easiest way which is to make use of WordPress plugins. WP Increase Upload Filesize turns out to be one of the most common solutions in this field.
The plugin enables you to upload videos or any media files which are heavier than the current file size limit. It also lets you increase the execution time. This step-by-step instruction will show you how:
- Go to Add New under Plugins in your admin area
- Type “wp increase upload filesize” in the keyword box
- Install and activate the plugin
- Open the “Wp upload limit section” that has just been added to your admin menu
- Select the maximum upload file size from the drop-down
- Save your changes
Protect Your Premium WordPress Video
You create videos not only to serve marketing purpose but also use it as a digital product to earn profit. They can be tutorial videos or online video courses. To effectively secure WordPress videos, you need help from the PDA Gold plugin and its Protect WordPress Videos & Audios extension.
The plugins give you a helping hand in protecting videos, granting access to paid customers only, and at the same time blocking them from downloading your video files. Although users make use of video downloaders like IDM, they’re unable to download your videos.
To get started using the plugins, you need to:
- Download, install, and activate PDA Gold and Protect WordPress Videos & Audios plugins
- Open the WordPress page or post in which you want to embed the protected video
- Click the video camera icon on the post toolbar
- Choose your desired video to protect
- Check the box saying “Protect this file” on the attachment detail page
- Hit the Insert video button
Your embedded video becomes private now. The guide is applied to WordPress sites using classic editor only. If you’re Gutenberg, refer to this documentation on how to secure videos in Getenberg.
Make Use of WordPress Videos
We’ve shown you the importance of videos via juicy statistics. Although it’s simple to embed videos to your WordPress content, knowing how to use them efficiently is a whole different story.
You can create a video post by changing the post format, adjusting the video size, or increasing the video size upload limit. It’s necessary to protect your videos as well, especially hard-to-produce videos that serve commercial purposes.
PDA Gold and Protect WordPress Videos have marked their names as formidable competitors of video protection due to their ease of use. You can secure any of your videos with just a few clicks.